Saturday, May 2, 2020

Doublechin ~ Double The Joy

So, here I am, holding this little one in my arms, fighting the urge of dozing off, to write this down because I think these few months is worth remembering and wanted it to be stored perfectly visual down my memory lane.

When I got to know I was pregnant, both of us were overjoyed. But this feeling didn't last for too long as I had this pregnancy sickness for four whole months. Every morning feeling nauseous, hungry but couldn't eat much. It followed by the sensitivity towards smell, vomiting, dizziness and out of breath. The only honeymoon month is my second trimester. When it entered the third trimester, back pain, swollen legs, heart burns, carpel tunnel all came at once on me. It was a bittersweet journey. Husband was there to see me going through all these and he was telling me, okay, just one kid. No more second pregnancy.



At my first trimester. Walking around shopping mall at that time was totally a hard work for me. Had to sit for every few steps I walked. 

Shedding tears quite a lot during my pregnancy, not sure because of the hormone changes or the suffers that kicked in. 

Attended a baby course which I personally think very beneficial and useful. 


Gained so much weight back then that I could hardly look into mirror. SO terrifying yet still having such high calories food =p


My EDD was supposed to be in Spetember. I was so happy that I could have my maternity leaves continued with my year end school holidays. However, baby decided to come out 4 weeks early as my amniotic fluid was at critical level. I was at the Putrajaya Hospital for my usual appointment and right after the doctor scanned my tummy, he wanted me to admit straight away. So we were asked to check with the registration counter for available room and went home to wait for phone calls to be admitted. I told Mr Chin that I wanted to have a nice decent meal before my confinement period starts. So we went for banana leaf rice with A BIG GLASS of watermelon juice. Hehe.

My last appointment before giving birth.

The very last time I got to enjoy cold drinks before confinement period starts.


When we went home, we sort of packed all the stuff with us. Labour bag was packed earlier on, then thermos, some milo, biscuits,  toiletries. And we started making phone calls to inform our parents and siblings.We got the phone call from the hospital around 5 o clock in the evening. I was told that doctor will undergo C-sec for me on Sunday (I was admitted on Friday). So when I was settled down at the room, the nurse put on the cardiotocography CTG on my tummy to check on the baby's heartbeat and contractions. At that night itself, the doctor on duty realised that I was actually having contractions which I was totally not aware of. To be honest, I thought my son was just stretching himself in my tummy. The CTG showed that I was having contractions from every 10 minutes to the later every five minutes. I was given two shots of corticosteriod, an injection to the mother to strengthen the baby's lungs to function. It is because my baby is considered prematured so I had to take this injection to speed up the development of baby's lungs. The injection was fucking pain that I had to endure the pain for like 10 minutes. And I needed to take TWO injections. I was squeezing myself, groaning, moaning when the dose kicked in. One of the nurses told me she had it for both of her kids. I really don't know how she went through that.

First day admitted. Nurses checking baby's heart rate


The CTG machine 



So, the next morning when I was happily having my breakfast (to be honest, Putrajaya Hospital serves quite delicious food), a doctor came in and was shocked to see me eating. She said I was supposed to fast as I had to go for C-sec later. I was like, WHAT?!!!! I was told to have my delivery on Monday and now it had changed to Saturday??!!! The doctor said my case is an emergency. I already had contractions quite frequent (which I didn't feel it at all), so the baby can't wait until Monday to come out. So, I had to put my yummy fried mihun aside, waiting for my turn to go in the OT at 12p.m..

Later at noon, I was directed to the OT with the company of Mr Chin and my mother in law. To be honest, I was freaking nervous especially when Mr Chin was not allowed to be with me in the OT.
Before going in the OT. Look at MY FACE!!!!!! I couldn't even find my chin T.T

While the nurse was explaining about the whole procedure. Honestly, nothing went into my mind. I was totally blank. 


Long story short, I was trembling crazily in the OT. Part of the reasons was the low temperature, and most of it was because I was super duper nervous. Around me were the anesthesiologist and her assistant and some nurses. My doctor was still nowhere to be seen. The nurses were busy preparing stuff, writing my details on the whiteboard in the OT. The anesthesiologist was discussing something with her assistant and I was shaking, still. Then, I was asked to sit straight so that the anesthesiologist could carry out her spinal injection on me. I felt a few pokes on my spinal and asked curiously that I need how many injections on my back. She told me that it was only one that I needed but they couldn't poke the needle in!!!! While saying so, she took out a huge big syringe and told me, now we use this bigger one see whether it goes in. I almost felt like jumping off the OT operation bed. Fortunately, this one got in. So while I was waiting for the epidural to take effect, my doctor came in, like finally. He was standing in front of me, chatting with the nurses. I couldn't see him as we were separated by a piece of cloth. So while I was hearing this clanking sound, I told my anesthesiologist that I could actually still feel people touching me (well, I was afraid that in case the epidural hasn't worked when the scalpel goes in). And she said, 'Oh.. They already began the operation, I can see your baby's head now.' I was like 'Ok, you gotta stop telling me that. I don't want any further details.'

Not before long, I could feel something lifted out from my tummy and within seconds, the loud and clear crying filled the OT. Holding my breath, I still couldn't let got my tense yet as I was worried baby would be too tiny and might need to be in the incubator. Followed by the sucking sound from the machine, I could feel some pulling and pulling down at my tummy there. Guess the doctor was finishing mending the wound. Baby's crying still could be heard while the nurse cleaning him. And then there came the moment where this little tiny fell was brought to my cheek, I took a glance at him, and asked 'Is he doing ok?' Can't hide my concern on him. I was told to kiss him on the cheek for three times, skin-to-skin contact. After checking his tag on his feet, checked on his gender, baby was sent out to let the father see. Luckily, this little fella was born 2.28kg, need not to be in the incubator. A sigh of relief.

A small screen for husband (in the waiting room) to know what's going on in the OT.


I was left in the recovery room for around half an hour before being sent back to my ward. I was still trembling. Nurse told me to rest while at the recoveryroom. I was too drowsy, cold, tired. I told myself, I don't want to go through this again, not by myself alone. It was too scary for me to be in the OT, that loneliness and helpless that crept in overwhelmed me, too much. When I was sent back to the ward, that night itself, my face, my body was so itchy that I couldn't help but to scratch myself like a monkey, and vomited every time after I had something to eat or drink. Only then I was told that all these were the side effects of taking epidural. Basically, I stayed for three nights in the hospital. I had to wear compression surgical socks to reduce blood clots and take blood thinning injection for ten days.

Was asked to take my measurement and buy the compression socks at the pharmacy in the hospital.



Our VIP room for our last night. Managed to get it on the last night. The first two nights we had to share with another couple, which was quite a nightmare to us because their  newborn wouldn't stop crying. 



Yeah, so basically this pretty much sums up what I have been through during my pregnancy. It was rather a bittersweet one I would say. Of course, the sweet comes now. A sweet burden that I would enjoy for the rest of my life.

P/S: I was supposed to finish this write up way before this. Now, I am putting this finishing on my son's nine month old birthday. HAHAHA! Well, better late than never. =p

No comments:

你的生日,我人生的完美

 就这样,你三岁了。 我依然清楚记得你被捧到我的脸上的那一刻,那个清秀的样子,那一刻开始,我被冠上妈妈这个昵称。妈妈很感恩你带给我们的种种欢乐,家里因为有了你,多了一份温馨,阵阵的笑声。 你的懂事,你的小聪明都让妈妈觉得很不可思议,很难相信我养育了那么棒的一个小孩。上帝阿爸对妈妈...